failed first experiment

input - November 28th, 2007 - Marloes de Valk - No Comments

Today I finished the hollow part of the mold. I spent most of the day smoothing both parts of the mold with sandpaper and getting rid of some of the errors the CNC made. Some edges are simply not possible for the machine to make, so I have to manually adjust. It is turning out to be a very craftsy project.


After sanding the mold I was ready to make my first cast. I had never done this before in my life, so it was a brand new experience and one that I will not easily forget. I blended the parts A and B (10:1) and surprise! It became a super sticky and thick paste, impossible to poor into a very small hole leading to a very narrow hollow space inside my mold. I decided it would be best to just poor it in the hollow mold and push the convex one into it. Silicone came gushing out on all sides, it was a total mess *blush*

Failed experiment… had to clean the molds and my workspace and come up with a new plan of attack.

Leave a Reply